This episode was recorded in front of a live audience at the 2023 RCPCH Annual Conference, Glasgow. Dr Felicity Cooksey and Dr Leila Ellis were joined by an expert panel to discuss: What could the role of the general paediatric ward be in caring for a young person with a mental health presentation?
- Dr Anna Kyle, Consultant General Paediatrician and Clinical Lead for mental health and eating disorders in Musgrove Park Hospital, Somerset NHS Foundation Trust;
- Dr Elaine Lockhart, Chair of the RCPsych Child and Adolescent Faculty with over 20 years’ experience working as a Consultant in Paediatric Liaison Psychiatry
- Dr Lee Hudson, Clinical Associate Professor, Honorary Consultant General Paediatrician and Principal Investigator for the MAPS study.
During the live session, we read a poem by Anna Perkins ‘An NG Feed’ which is available to read in the NHS Paediatric restrictive practices and nasogastric feeding guidance (https://ngt-restrictive-practice.nhs.uk/)
- RCPCH Child mental health webpages (https://www.rcpch.ac.uk/key-topics/child-mental-health)
- RCPsych Medical emergencies in eating disorders (MEED) Guidance on recognition and management. CR233. 2022
- RCEM The ABC of self-harm in young people: A psychiatric approach to resuscitation. Sabel E. 2019
- NICE Self-harm: Assessment, management and preventing recurrence. NG225. 2022 NHS Paediatric restrictive practices and nasogastric feeding guidance (https://ngt-restrictive-practice.nhs.uk/)
- Dr Anna Kyle: The Shock of the Fall by Nathan Filer
- Dr Elaine Lockhart: The Body Keeps the Score by Bessel van der Kolk
- Dr Lee Hudson: Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel