In this episode, Dr Felicity Cooksey welcomes Dr Michelle Cutland to the podcast. Dr Cutland is clinical director for the children’s service at a Sexual Assault Referral Centre in the South West of England and clinical co-lead for Physical Signs of Child Sexual Abuse 3rd Ed, which is due for release in August 2023.
They discuss communicating with children and young people following disclosures of sexual harm, the importance of reinforcing bodily autonomy to children and the updates to Physical Signs of Child Sexual Abuse (also known as the ‘purple book’).
· Data on the scale and nature of CSA The scale and nature of CSA – CSA Centre
· RCPCH Child Protection Portal Child protection resources – RCPCH Child Protection Portal
· Physical Signs of Child Sexual Abuse Physical signs of child sexual abuse – evidence-based review | RCPCH
· The Green House (Home – The Green House (the-green-house.org.uk)
· Somerset Phoenix project (Somerset Phoenix Project)
· Pants: The Underwear Rule (Talk PANTS & Join Pantosaurus – The Underwear Rule | NSPCC)
· My Dark Vanessa by Kate Elizabeth Russell
· Bird of Winter by Alice Hiller
· Indescribable by Candice Harris
· Unbelievable series 1, episode 1 (available on Netflix)
If you have questions after listening to this episode, you can contact Michelle via her email address (Michelle.Cutland@uhbw.nhs.uk) or discuss with your local safeguarding lead.